Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Tiny Town -- A Cabinet of Curiosities in Rhode Island

When I was studying for my master's degree in science writing at the University of Southern California, I was fortunate to be able to take a class that focused on the history of science collections, and in particular cabinets of curiosity (the precursors to today's science museums).  In that class, we learned about odd medical collections that included grotesque sculptures made out of preserved human innards, as well as more distinguished collections by people like Albertus Seba (whose cabinet made the pages of a Taschen book).  I was already interested in the history of science museums, as well as miscellany, so the class fit me perfectly.  Now, whenever I hear about modern cabinets of curiosity, my ears perk up.

So, I was excited to learn about the Nature Lab at the Rhode Island School of Design.  What an amazing place!  I love that the curators used old card catalogs, and I love that the collection includes three-dimensional geometric models for hands-on exploration.  The Nature Lab is definitely on my short list of cool, wacky places to visit.

Read more about the Lab here

[Image credited to the Nature Lab]


No comments:

Post a Comment